From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The Best Books

To me the best books are not the ones that I read about in a magazine or other book. They are also not the ones I hear mentioned in a great sermon or lesson by someone I know and trust. They also are not the ones that friends tell me, "Oh man. You gotta read this book." Finally, they are not even the ones that a friend will send me the link to from Amazon with an encouragement to "check it out".



No, the best books I've read are the ones that people actually buy and give to me. For me that is the ultimately litmus test as to whether I'll like this book or not. If you know me well enough to think seriously about whether I'd like it and then you put your own money down to buy it and you have it shipped to my house then I know, without a doubt, that I'll like the book.



That happened to me this spring. A great friend (more than just a buddy of mine) offered some honest critique regarding a presentation I did in his city about the ministry with which I work. Not only did he offer helpful critique but he sent a book along too. That book is called "Made to Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die." As good as his critique was the book has been even better. I'm on my 4th reading now actually.



While I'm not going to drop ship you a copy personally I will challenge you to test my hypothesis. Is the best book you've read in a while one you've heard about from a friend or one you've been given by a friend?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home