From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Monday, October 04, 2004

When name dropping just won't do

Yesterday, I visited the blog of a friend who was obviously fired up to have been where he was over the weekend. He met this person and that person and that guy he went to school with was there as well as that dude he was in ministry with way back when and after many years he finally got to see whats her name too! If name dropping were still in, then my friend was as cool as they came. See this link if you wanna see it for yourself.

That got me thinking. In today's techy go happy world (or at least in blogging and emailing), simple name dropping won't do. No, picture dropping now seems to be the chic way of saying what you gotta say. Let me show you what I mean. While flying to Nashville back when I was in college, I sat by this guy on a plane. He told me that no Southern Baptist had done more fundraising for church of Christ education than he did. He was right. May he rest in peace. Once, while waiting for a flight in Atlanta up to Boston, I got to talking to this world class athlete. As if that was not enough, I sat by him on the flight as well and he signed every autograph that people asked him too. Nice guy for a Sheik.

In the world of blog humor, this nerd carries the day. Witty, borderline blue and a Goodpasture grad who repented of his Tennessee ties and headed west, waste your time (repeat, DO waste your time) by stopping by his blog as you can.

Back to my droppings, being a former college basketball player, a lot of my old teammates are now coaching in some big time basketball programs. I spent parts of two days last week going to NC with him to recruit some up and coming NBA millionaires. While on the road, we called this guy who, like it or not, looks a whole lot like his daddy. While on the way to NC, we stopped and dinner with The Tree Man and then remineced about this fella, this dream boat and him too.

So, I hope you see the value of picture dropping instead of name dropping. A name is just a name but a picture is oh so much more...


1 Comments:

Blogger Brandon Scott Thomas said...

you name dropper, you.

2:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home