From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Loss? Gain? The same!

A dear friend of mine died yesteday. I met Gwynneth Curtis in August of 1993 in a frightening dormitory like place in Moscow. He heard me and some friends speaking English and moved on over to check us out. He found out we were missionaries in Siberia, were young and (fairly) open minded and envisioned spending our lives serving the Lord in Russia. He planted a seed that day that continues to bear fruit in my life even up till this moment. He challenged me to finish my commitment in Russia and then consider coming to Abilene Christian University for grad school in cross cultural ministry. I did and I did. My time at ACU was good on many levels with one of the best being the meetings, planned and not, with Gwynneth over coffee, BBQ or just sitting in his office. I've never met a man more gifted to work in the role that he did - recruiting, training, sending and blessing missionaries to go work in Eastern Europe. It was his passion and it showed.

So, did I lose a friend yesterday? Yes, sort of. I can't call him or email him or eat real Texas BBQ with him anymore but I am part of a legacy he leaves behind. Focused on raising the name of Jesus up in Eastern Europe, I will also be. In that sense, I have gained much.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home