From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Developing A Heart Of Gratitude

I've been nearly all me focused the last few weeks. My move back to the U.S. My transition in ministry. My need for more financing. My moving to Texas. My growing family. My missing Russia. My, my, my what a narrow view of things we have when we are me focused.

As a result of the in-my-face-challenge of a woman I love dearly (my mom), I'm turning my attention to being grateful for what I already have. A wife of unspeakable Proverbs 31ness, 2 beautiful sons who think I'm next to only mom in the world of superlatives, a healthy child on the way, a new ministry, an exciting move, new transportation (my dad in law GAVE us his Suburban), a chance to have my faith challenged and grow in the coming months. After just a day of this thinking, I already feel much, much better. As Rick Warren said right off the bat in his "see it everywhere" bestseller, The Purpose Driven Life, ''It's Not About You (Rob!).'' How true, how true.

"Thank you Lord that your mercies are new this morning and that they will continue to be new every morning. Grant me the eyes to see them, the willingness to accept them and heart to be grateful for them."

Have a great day!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jan said...

I've followed your family's journey through your Newsletter as sent by email from the church in Norcross. I've always admired you and your wife for the choices you've made. This particular blog touched me deeply. Say hello to all your family from the one who married your 7th grade science teacher. Jan

7:36 PM

 
Blogger Rob said...

Hmmm. 7th grade science teacher. This shows how bad a science student I was. Who was my 7th grade science teacher anyway???? Gary Barker (I think he was 8th grade)? If not him, I honestly don't know and for that I am ashamed.

Your words are kind and your prayers are craved. Thank you. Rob

12:43 PM

 
Blogger Jan said...

Rob, it may have been 8th grade -- he taught both -- and yes, it was Gary Barker to whom I was referring. We've just experienced our first hurricane and weathered the storm well. Remember us in prayer as we continue to remember you and your family. In Him, Jan

3:17 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home