From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Monday, August 09, 2004

What if...

My college basketball coach, team and entire program had a mantra we tried to live by (one of many mantras actually): What if everyone on this team had your attitude? Would our team be better or worse?

My first year in the program, that thought riveted me every time I heard it. What if? As time went on and years passed (5 of them...I redshirted my 2nd year but did complete all course work in 4 years so no dumb jock comments), it did not carry the "umph" that it did early on. I have been rethinking those thoughts amid the transitions of my life right now. What if my wife had my attitude amid all of the changes we are in and still must go through? What if my sons had my attitude? I'm not sure I'd enjoy living with 3 others who have my attitude right now. Conversely, I'm looking at their attitudes and thinking, "I could live with a whole herd of folks whose attitude were like theirs."

I'm called to remember right now that there are really only 3 things I can control in life: my effort, my attitude and what I believe. Other than that, I have very little say so over the "what ifs" that are out there. So, with less known about the future than at any time in my life, I'll shoot to get a hold of my attitude first.

As yourself the same question...what would your (family, business, team, staff, marriage, fill in the blank) be like if everyone had your attitude?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home