From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Friday, October 19, 2007

It's In the Bible You Know!

Overheard today at my son's martial arts studio between a dad of one child and a mom of another...both are very outspoken Christians.

Mom: "Yeah and the Mormons got their own problems too. That whole celestial marriage thing is just weird."

Dad: "I'll you what, they got some learning to do. The Bible clearly says '...till death do you part' and not a minute further."

Hmmmm. Lots going on here. Celestial marriage meaning, I think, that a Mormon couple is married in this life and in the life to come. I don't think so but I would not go far as to quote from the Bible that "till death do you part" is anywhere in the canon of scripture.

I laughed almost out loud at them but then I kinda thought about myself and how I probably have done the same thing before...but I sure hope not!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger LaPorte said...

hey, Rob. The bible doesn't really use that phrase but there are plenty of verses that mean that, I think. Rom. 7:2&3. 1 Cor 7:39 and Matt 19:6. The thought is definitely there, what do you think?

7:47 PM

 
Blogger LaPorte said...

till death do us part is in the bible actually. not in so many words but in other words. Rom 7:2&3 1Cor 7:39

7:51 PM

 
Blogger Rob said...

Thought? Absolutely! The wedding soliloquy that this guy was weaving? No!

I did not elaborate enough in the orginal post that he was continuing on with "to have and to hold" as well.

I just thought it funny that a lot of our traditional wedding vows suddenly became part of the text.

Might this be a guess you had to be there moment? Maybe so...

10:36 PM

 
Blogger LaPorte said...

oh, Yeah, I see what you mean. he thought it was all there word for word. sure. it is funny.

2:20 PM

 
Blogger Kim said...

Commenting on you comments...
Doesn't that often happen? Tradition becoming Scripture, to some people?

9:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home