From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Venting...

I've been out of the blog mindset for a while...a long while. Not that anyone noticed but I've been out of it anyway.

I need to vent about haircuts in America...in Atlanta...in Gwinnett County...in Lilburn/Norcross. When I lived in Russia, I got the best, I mean the best, haircuts from a "master stylist" and paid about $6. This included a wash, cut, style, blow dry and sometimes another wash once the hair was cut. I got used to a lot of quality for a little money. Funny thing is that I describe what kind of cut I want in Russian and, while my Russian is ok, it is far from perfect.

The vent issue comes when I come back to America/Atlanta/Gwinnett County/Lilburn/Norcross. In my first language, English, I seem totally unable to describe what kind of style I want. It never fails that I end up with a military looking buzz of some sort when that is light years from what I am envisioning.

It hit me today that most every place I frequent in the U.S. for a haircut has stylists who speak English only as a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th language. Maybe this is the problem. No matter what I say to the Hispanic lady, the Vietnamese lady, or the Tiawanese lady, I end up with a Gomer Pyle looking do. Not good. What to do???

Maybe I need to find a Russian stylist here in the U.S. and explain in Russian what I want. Somethings got to give. If you read this and see me in the next few days, please try and hold back your laughter. I will be very thankful if you'll do that for me.

Vent finished...

1 Comments:

Blogger Fajita said...

Welcome back to blogland.

Come one, post a picture of your wonderful hair. I dare you.

11:44 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home