From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Yankee Don't Know No Better

I love reading the near sane mutterings of a guy named Bill Simmons. He is a Boston bred writer stuck in L.A. trying to make a living. He writes regularly for ESPN Page 2 which is my start page. Right now, he is in Jacksonville, FL, getting ready for SuperBowl 39. I think he hates it there and cannot wait to get home to SoCal. Even so, his latest blog from the J'ville made me think things are looking up for him:

Best House Specialty: Sweet Tea
I know I've done my share of complaining about Jacksonville, but finding out about Sweet Tea made it all worth it. First, they make a batch of hot tea. Then they heat up sugar in a pan. Then they pour the hot sugar into the hot tea and let it caramelize. I'm telling you, this is the greatest drink of all-time -- like a combination of iced tea and heroin. I drank two glasses at Gene's Seafood on Tuesday, then went outside and picked up a Pontiac Firebird over my head.

Being the southern born and raised man I am, nothing do I take for granted more than the presence of sweet tea (is there any other kind) with my meals. Poor Yank just don't know what he's been missing his whole life.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Elliott said...

Just an observation -- have you ever noticed that the sweet tea in Chinese restaurants is the sweetest in the universe? It's as if someone thought it wssn't sweet enough already and decided it needed a boost, so they created a cousin of sorts to "Jolt" cola. I swear; you could pour this stuff on your pancakes and never notice the difference.

6:12 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home