From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Private Thoughts on Public Matters

In the spring of 1978, after much prayer and planning, my father and mother pulled me out of public school. A high school diploma, undergrad degree, and master's degree later, I've never been back. Nothing against public schools. Just seems my educational paths were more private in nature. So, the last 28 years have had me largely unaware of God's working on these campuses.

This past weekend, I and a friend/brother/co-worker in ministry headed down to Panama City, FL, as WWYC reps to gather together with 1800 university students who largely come from state colleges and universities. I think every SEC school was represented (though Mississippi State was either really small or really quiet), most every OVC school, and a lot of other conferences as well.

Let's just say that after parts of 3 days of rubbing shoulders with these kids and their campus ministers, I have been profoundly impacted by what the body of Christ on state campuses looks, lives, and worships like. Furthermore, I believe they are meeting a need in evangelism that a private, Christian school could never, ever meet. We met kids who are now saved who would have likely never known the Lord had that campus ministry not been there. Former drug dealers, drug addicts, and gang members were not all that uncommon among the campus ministries of MTSU, AUM, Troy State and others during this weekend. No matter who they might have been, they are now saved and that is, to put in the vernacular of the weekend, awesome dude!

So, while I am grateful for the GACS/DLU/ACU academic and spiritual training I received, I am growing more prayerful for the ministries and ministers at UGA, Auburn, Tennessee Tech, UT Knoxville, Alabama, and on and on. God is doing some eye popping big things on state campuses and I so hope the church at large not only sees it but enters into it as well.

If you care to see what it was about, check out www.gulfcoastgetaway.org.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home