From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Monday, November 22, 2004

(An Aged) 36 And (Pretty Much) Still Ticking...

36 years ago today, out I came and away I went on this ride called life. The adventure has never failed to keep me or those around me on their toes. For the 36 years now behind me and the beginning of the 37th now ahead, I am so thankful.

My dear wife organized a very low key but enjoyable gathering with her, my 3 sons (sans Uncle Charlie), my in laws, the Joneses, and 2/3 of the Hennesseys together for Mexican, what else?! It was just what I needed after a rainy, foggy, 36th November 22nd here in Atlanta.

I was thinking today. In just 36 years, among other things, I have:

1. Made 719 visits to the chiropractor
2. Been nailed by Kmart plain clothes cops for....never mind but yes there are such things as Kmart plain clothes cops, trust me!
3. Had 3 MRIs
4. Celebrated birthdays in places like the Crown Plaza Hotel at LaGuardia Airport, in New York, the Central Hotel in Kemerovo, Russia, and around the table of 12 female college students in Barnaul, Russia. Tonight was a little mores tame but no less memorable.
5. Flown more than 500 times on an airplane.
6. Learned to mutter nearly coherent in 4 languages.
7. Gotten lost in a South American Rain Forest.
8. Worked at Burger King when I was 15 and have never eaten there since (and you wouldn't either if you knew what I knew!).
9. Ate part of a moose's face and thought it was pretty good considering it was moose face.
10. Got to sit by the Iron Sheik on a flight from Atlanta to Boston.

So, I got to thinking that with a start like that, imagine what the next 36 or so years should provide. I can hardly wait....

2 Comments:

Blogger Fajita said...

A few things you'll do in the next 36 years:

1. Go gray or bald.
2. Sag.
3. Let your children go.
4. Lose teeth - only the Tooth Fairy doesn't visit twice.
5. Take 500 more flights.
6. Shape minds and share salvation.
7. Learn jibberish in two more foreign languages.
8. Love your wife more and more and more.
9. Sucker punch the Iron Shiek, just to see what he'll do.
10.Learn 57,567 more useless sports facts.

God bless ya, and may you get more than 36 more years.

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Donna G said...

Hey, I worked at Burger King when 16 and still eat there. Must be the frachise, that was the cleanest place I have ever seen. We cleaned every minute we did not have a customer....

Other things on the agenda
1. Realize you can't immediately focus on the TV after reading.
2. Realize sometimes you can't see to read at all
3. Find that grace means more and more and rules mean less and less

1:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home