From a first time blogger, thoughts about life from an American missionary now living in the US after years in Russia and doing a lot of back and forth. Family stuff, Christian content, sports innuendo and lots of quotes from good books.

Wednesday, July 21, 2004

To Pet or Not To Pet?

From Dave Berry:


"I was excited about having a pet, and I'd give the turtle a fun pet name like Scooter. But my excitement was not shared by Scooter, who, despite residing in a tropical paradise, never did anything except mope around. Actually, he didn't even mope "around." He moped in one place for days on end, displaying basically the same vital signs as an ashtray. Eventually I would realize - it wasn't easy to tell - that Scooter had passed on to that Big Pond in the Sky, and I'd bury him in the garden, where he'd decompose and become food for the zucchini, which in turn would be eaten by my dad, who would in turn go to New York City, where, compelled by powerful instincts that even he did not understand, he would buy me another moping death turtle. And so the cycle of life would repeat." 
 

With Mr. Berry, it was a turtle.  With me it was a guinea pig.  Shockey was the name.  Brought home on Tuesday in a wave of enthusiasm, taken home on Friday in a sea of anguish.  His death was Circle of Life 101 for me. 

 
As with what they can learn from sports, I now think about my kids and the responsibility of having a pet.  I know who'll walk it, feed it, wash it and train it.  Believe me, I know!  I also know who will love it, play with it, identify with it, draw pictures of it, call it their best friend and learn much from it. 
 
Should I go big time with a dog and secure the All Time Greatest Dad Award or cop out and introduce them to "Fuzzy - The Low Maintenance Chia Pet".  Tough call.
 
As my father and grandmother deal with life ending illnesses, I am thankful for lessons learned with Shockey...and Windy...and Sooner...Snoopy...Butterscotch...Lady.  They taught me much about beginnings, middles and endings.  In some way, I think I am even better equipped to walk the difficult paths ahead with my family as a result of the lessons I learned with my pets. 
 
So, to pet or not to pet?  Hmmm...
 
I suppose - start slow (Chia Pet/Goldfish/Turtle/Pet Rock), build up (Dog, Rabbit, Guinea Pig.....notice there has not been and will never be mentioned here a cat)  but don't deprive kids of having a pet and learning that death is indeed part of life.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home